|RESIDENTIAL COUNSELOR – RUNAWAY/HOMELESS YOUTH SHELTER |
The Residential Counselor cares for youth housed in our Runaway and Homeless Youth Shelter by performing the following duties:
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Assist in screening, evaluation and orientation of homeless youth.
Handle crisis phone calls and occasional walk-in crisis situations.
• Assist with housekeeping duties in youth living areas.
Ensure safe environment for fellow employees and residents.
• Discipline youths and recommend or initiate other measures to control behavior.
• Escort youths to designated activities.
• Give instructions to youths regarding desirable health and personal habits.
• Input client data into computer system.
Oversee AFDC applications for client funding.
Prepare youths each morning and ensure youth are dressed, fed and ready for school or other activity.
• Plan and lead recreational activities and participate or instruct youth games.
• Provide individual and group counseling to residents.
Complete weekly and monthly program reports.
Maintain and dispense appropriate medications.
• Other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform all essential duties and responsibilities satisfactorily. Bachelor’s Degree from a four-year college or university or one to two years related experience and/or training or equivalent combination of education and experience. Experience working with culturally diverse youths required. Must have possession of current driver’s license, access to a vehicle and personal automobile insurance. Current CPR and First Aid Certification (or complete within 30 days of hire).