Contact: San Francisco LGBT Community Center
San Francisco LGBT Community Center
1800 Market Street
San Francisco, CA 94102
Phone: (415) 865-5555
Fax: (415) 865-5501
“The Center inspires me. It’s the place I belong, you belong, and we all belong. How could I not be part of that?”
The mission of the San Francisco Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender (LGBT) Community Center is to connect our diverse community to opportunities, resources and each other to achieve our vision of a stronger, healthier, and more equitable world for LGBT people and our allies. The Center’s strategies inspire and strengthen our community by:
• Fostering greater opportunities for people to thrive.
• Organizing for our future.
• Celebrating our history and culture.
• Building resources to create a legacy for future generations.
Despite gains in social understanding and approval for LGBT people over the past 40 years, LGBT people still face both individual and systemic discrimination. Since its opening in 2002, the Center has established itself as a cornerstone of the LGBT community with an impact that goes beyond its direct services. As the only non-profit in San Francisco serving the full spectrum of the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender communities, and working across a broad range of issues impacting the community, the Center plays an important role as the physical and spiritual home for LGBT culture and is vital to the ultimate survival of our identity as a community.
The Center's critical safety net programs serve the most vulnerable members of the community -- people of color, transgender, lesbian, and bisexual women, differently-abled people, youth, elders, immigrants, and low-income individuals -- who often experience additional, intersecting forms of discrimination. Their shared goal is to ensure that no one in the LGBT community is left behind on the road to equality.
Today, when visitors arrive at the Center, they find free services like career counseling, job fairs, computer lab, social activities, mentorships, youth meals, daycare, various workshops and much more. Here they can connect with other LGBT people and organize to secure our equal rights. The Center is truly the heart, home and hands of the San Francisco LGBT community.
Programs and Services
“I became a member of the Center because it is important for me to be a part of the community. What better way than to volunteer? We now have a place to meet, use as a source of entertainment and culture, and just call our own.”
Today the Center is a nexus for the LGBT community and allies to gather, organize and celebrate. We host over 200 programs and welcome more than 9,000 individuals each month, in addition to providing affordable office space.
Our own direct service programs provide leadership that brings the community together to work on issues of civil rights, public policy and community activism, tackling problems of discrimination, homophobia and disenfranchisement. The Center is sought out as a collaborative leader and partner, leveraging the work of community-based organizations through active engagement with over 70 local organizations.
Direct programming is designed to serve low-income community members who are among those most in need, including youth, job seekers, children and families, city newcomers, women and the transgender community. Programs areas include:
• Economic Development assists LGBT jobseekers in finding safe and secure living-wage employment, help LGBT-run businesses grow, increase LGBT community financial assets, and eliminate barriers to transgender economic success.
• Health and Wellness programs work to prevent HIV/AIDS infection, through social networking, information services and peer support targeting city newcomers. We provide a robust Information and Referral program where 60% of referrals include mental health services, sexual/and or domestic abuse, HIV/AIDS or general health / health access.
• Children, Youth and Family. We provide childcare services to LGBT families four days a week. Over 500 youth annually receive leadership development, job training, queer youth prom, and free meals.
• Community and Policy Initiatives empower community members and respond to important emerging community and policy issues such as marriage equality and employment protection. These programs are conceived, designed and implemented for and by community members, and are supported by Center staff.
• Arts and Culture hosts art exhibits and collaborative programs to increase the visibility of LGBT artists and public access to cultural activities.
• Building Facilities. Our solar powered, 35,000 sq. ft. state-of-the-art facility is open six days a week, events range from 12-step meetings to town halls to readings and lectures. The Cyber Center provides free computer access. Rental spaces serve groups ranging from 10 to 400 in size.
You can also find us on
San Francisco LGBT Community Center has been viewed 1230 times.
Is this your business?
Claim your business page now and access your free Social Service Network account. You'll be able to:
- Post job/volunteer/internship opportunities
- Add your logo
- Change your company profile
- Comment on reviews employees have made
- Add links to your social pages such as YouTube, Twitter and Facebook
- Add your company locations
To find out more contact us
San Francisco LGBT Community Center (Beta testing)
More street images of San Francisco LGBT Community Center